Before we start telling you how to write this type of paper, let’s answer one of the most common questions that students have about these assignments: what is an expository essay? According to the simplest definition, an expository essay is investigating an idea and evaluates the evidence that proves that idea. The essay should also expand on the idea and offer a strong argument related to it.
It sounds complicated, doesn’t it? Well, it is complicated. The biggest problem is that your teachers expect you to write an expository essay without giving you proper guidelines on how to handle the assignment. You get a general theme, and you have to come up with your own topic and figure out how to write the paper by yourself.
How do you do it? Well, since you were not born knowing how to handle expository essay writing, there’s only one solution: you need an online guide. Fortunately, you found the right one.
WHAT IS AN EXPOSITION ESSAY? YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THE ASSIGNMENT BEFORE YOU CAN WRITE IT
Does the definition of an expository essay give you enough information to start writing? No! Unfortunately, a scarce definition is never enough for you to understand a particular concept. So let’s make it clearer for you, shall we?
- Expository writing is a broad concept. It may be accomplished through definition, comparison and contrast, cause and effect analysis, example, and so on. You may choose the approach that works well for you. If your professor gave you precise instructions on how to deliver the exposition, then you’ll follow them.
- An expository essay needs a clear, convincing thesis statement.
- The body paragraphs should provide evidence. In that aspect, this type of paper is similar to the argumentative essay. Each of your arguments will shed more light to the general idea of the essay.
- The right dose of creative writing is absolutely necessary! You won’t just list one piece of evidence after another. You still need to write a paper that’s interesting to read.
- The expository essay is usually formatted according to the common 5-paragraph essay structure.
TIPS ON HOW TO WRITE THE EXPOSITORY PAPER
- Planning Is the First Step
All academic writing projects have a purpose. You have to know why you’re writing this expository essay, so you’ll approach the process with a positive mindset.
If you have any questions regarding the project, don’t hold back and ask your professor for clearer guidelines. When you know exactly what you need to achieve with the assignment, you may plan the process of development.
- Think about the audience. When writing an expository essay, you shouldn’t assume that the reader knows something about your topic. You’ll explain the concept in the clearest way possible, and you’ll provide all evidence in favor of your arguments.
- List all ideas you have. A simple brainstorming process will help you come up with creative approaches towards the theme.
- Ask questions! Who, why, when, what, why, and how? These questions will help you find arguments.
- Once you have enough ideas on your list, it’s time to organize them in a clear outline. It will serve as a template for your paper, so you’ll only fill in the gaps during the writing stage.
- Find Good Sources to Conduct the Research
The expository essay is a serious academic assignment. It calls for an in-depth research process, so do your best to find articles from scholarly journals, newspapers, and relevant magazines. You may also rely on authoritative online resources, as well as on books that are related to the concept you’re exploring.
Remember: you’ll have to reference these sources in Turabian, MLA, Harvard, APA, or another citation style. Make sure to take notes as you conduct the research, so you’ll remember where the information comes from.
You don’t have to read entire research papers and books to figure out if you want to use them in your essay or not. You can figure that out just by reading the abstract. If you find relevant information, you can read the specific sections of the content.
- Write the Expository Essay
Your expository essay will consist of the following parts:
|Introduction||Introduce your reader into the topic with an engaging sentence. Don’t make any digressions; start discussing the topic right away. At the end of the introduction, you’ll need to provide your thesis statement.|
|Body||In the body paragraphs, you’ll express your main points. Each body paragraph should start with a topic sentence and continue with supportive evidence. The logical flow between the body paragraphs must be flawless.|
|Conclusion||At the end, you’ll restate the thesis statement and remind your reader how the evidence proved it.|
Skipping the editing stage is not an option! If you want a high-quality essay, you have to make sure it’s free of grammar, spelling, and logical flow issues.
Read the paper several times and make the needed adjustments. If you’re struggling with the editing process, you can hire an editor online. That’s a good way to make sure you’re submitting a perfect paper.
THE FINAL SOLUTION: WHAT IF YOU CAN’T WRITE THE PAPER?
That being said, you can also buy an essay online if you get stuck during the previous stages of the process. A professional writer with a university degree will deliver an entirely unique and custom- written paper based on your requirements. You’ll get an affordable price for your order, and you can even use a discount to reduce the final price.
Whether you decide to write your own expository essay or order it online, one thing is for sure: this is an important assignment that you mustn’t skip. It will count for a major part of the grade, so it has to be great!